View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

A weighty issue

I have long been a fan of G. K Chesterton (as evidenced by my current happy involvement with Chesterton and Friends - http://chestertonandfriends.blogspot.com/), and have considered him as a role model in many ways.

Alas, one of those ways is in terms of girth.

I have padded my 6’ frame with 40-50 more pounds than it should ideally carry.

The last year has been a bad one for gain. With all the deaths, illnesses, twists and turns in my life I have gained quite a bit. One of my ways to seek comfort is, unfortunately, by eating.

This has caused not only tighter pants, but also back problems.

So about four three weeks ago I decided it was time to go cold turkey.

No more sweets (except small pieces of birthday cake when appropriate). Small portions at meals. No between-meal snacks or at bed time. And now that my back pain has eased a bit, more exercise.

So far, I’ve lost 12 pounds. If the current pattern continues, I will leave the realm of the obese and just be overweight in about two weeks.

My goal is to get back to where I was 13 years ago: 190 lbs. (in the acceptable range for my height and build).

Then maybe I’ll finally post a picture of me.
(Be afraid!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home