View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, April 01, 2006

Savage, O'Reilly, Coulter et al

I noticed something.

When I criticized Michael Savage, my readership suddenly spiked.

I don't know if that's because there are a lot of Michael Savage fans out there who slavishly seek out any mention of their guru, or that Savages's diatribe about Catholicism raised interest in attacks on him.

Maybe it's just the fact that I mentioned someone that people care about - and not the usual boring people like Jesus, Mary, St. Joseph, St. Tutilo, Dorothy Day, and G.K. Chesterton.

Another factor might be that I attacked him.

People like attacks. Just look at the ratings of Fox News.

So perhaps I should write pieces in which I go after people like Howard Stern, Britney Spears, Paris Hilton, and that nasty British guy on American Idol.

Okay, maybe I need to do some research first to get the facts straight.

Of course, lack of careful research and not getting the facts straight never stopped people like Michael Savage, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Ann Coulter, and Bill O'Reilly from pontificating.

Hey, that's a dig. I've started!

Now I just need to get them to stop talking long enough to listen to what Jesus actually said.

Ooops. That Jesus guy again. Old habits are hard to break.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home