View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Suit against priest who said Jesus existed dismissed

Reuters is reporting that an Italian atheist who sued a priest for saying that Jesus existed has lost his case.

Luigi Cascioli had argued that the priest had broken an Italian law meant to protect the public from being conned.

The judge not only dismissed the case, but recommended that Cascioli be investigated for slandering Father Enrico Righi.

Cascioli, who wrote a book called The Fable of Christ, said he was not surprised, and said he would appeal to Italy's highest court, and then to The Hague.

As for being tried for slander, Cascioli said that to prove he lied, prosecutors would have to prove that Jesus existed.

Hmm. Cascioli is 72. I suspect he will get that proof soon enough.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Unseen One said...

You know, I WISH I had so little going on in my life that I could get in an uproar over something that affected me so little. Well, it affects him little NOW... But on the other side of that last breath...
*shudder*

1:11 PM  
Blogger Matthew said...

"Hmm. Cascioli is 72. I suspect he will get that proof soon enough."

Very true. I only pray that his opinion will change before then so he might share in Heaven's delights.

8:13 PM  
Blogger April41171 said...

Hello there... just discovered your blog... It's great!
I was so upset by this lawsuit especially in Italy. I was worried that a liberal judge would take Cascioli's side. Thank the Good Lord.. we got the right judge. I do hope Cascioli comes to his senses...but as the saying goes.. Can't teach an old dog new tricks!

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home