View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Monday, November 21, 2005

Praise be to God (I'm not annoyed)

A few posts ago I listed some things I’m annoyed about.

It was a response to a book about things to be happy about.

I had fun compiling the list and sharing it. People have already suggested some items to add to the list.

Of course, being the scrupulous sort that I am, I have been studying my motivation for doing it since (showing off?), and wondering if it was a Christian response.

“No foul language should come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for needed edification, that it may impart grace to those who hear.” – Eph 4:29

“Immorality or any impurity or greed must not be mentioned among you, as is fitting among holy ones, no obscenity or silly or suggestive talk, which is out of place, but instead, thanksgiving.” Eph 5:3

What I wrote was not obscene or impure or mean spirited (though Paris Hilton and folks in Alabama might take exception!).

And, of course, God does not forbid humor.

But what of humor that tears down rather than builds up? What of humor that engenders an attitude of negativity in ourselves and others?

There’s that whole millstone thing to think about!

So instead of 14,001 Things to be Annoyed About, maybe I should be compiling 14,001 Things to Praise God For.

Gerard Manly Hopkins comes to mind for offering such praise in I poem I have always loved.

Pied Beauty
Gerard Manly Hopkins

GLORY be to God for dappled things—
For skies of couple-colour as a brinded cow;
For rose-moles all in stipple upon trout that swim;
Fresh-firecoal chestnut-falls; finches’ wings;
Landscape plotted and pieced—fold, fallow, and plough;
And áll trádes, their gear and tackle and trim.

All things counter, original, spare, strange;
Whatever is fickle, freckled (who knows how?)
With swift, slow; sweet, sour; adazzle, dim;
He fathers-forth whose beauty is past change:
Praise him.

1 Comments:

Blogger ~pen~ said...

i just quoted this poem on my blog! i love hopkins. he is such an inspired writer.

(and i am happy, as well, that you are not annoyed...)

8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home