View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Thursday, September 15, 2005

I pledge allegiance to prayer

U.S. District Judge Lawrence Karlton has ruled that reciting the Pledge of Allegiance in public schools is unconstitutional.

Specifically, he ruled that the reference to the nation being “under God” violates schoolchildren’s right to be “free from a coercive requirement to affirm God.”

The suit had been brought by atheist Michael Newdow.

The ruling applies only to three specific school districts in California, but higher courts could extend it to a number of states, or, if the U.S. Supreme Court upholds the decision, to the entire nation.

Now some religious types might be jumping up and down.

Me? Well, I have my own take.

I stopped reciting the pledge with hand on heart back in 1972 when I was in high school.

That was during the era of the Vietnam War. And Nixon.

I felt that I would be lying if I said our nation was “under God” given some of our nation’s actions at that time, and throughout its history.

Our nation’s behavior at times in the three decades since has done little to change my mind.

Plus, I had no desire to pledge allegiance to a “flag.”

I could pledge allegiance to the ideals on which our nation was founded.

But a piece of cloth?

Yes, I know that cloth is a symbol of our nation.

Yes, I know that we are no better or no worse than some other nations.

Yes, I know all nations have problems, and have been guilty of offences.

If I had a choice of where to live, in fact, the U.S. would still be near the top of my list.

But my faith comes first.

I am a Christian who happens to live in the U.S. If forced to chose, my faith would win.

Thus I have no problem taking a pledge to live “under God.”

It’s the nationalism part of the Pledge that’s a problem for me.

I do support my nation when it is acting justly and generously.

I readily praise my nation is those instances.

Nor do I want to disparage those who are sincerely patriotic. (Though, when it comes to some “patriotic” types, I agree with Samuel Johnson that, “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.”)

So I don’t go around trying to mock others or to draw attention to my position.

When the Pledge is recited, I stand out of respect for the nation’s ideals and in particular for those who have sacrificed for those ideals.

Out of politeness, in some circumstances I will even mouth the words.

But I don’t say it as a “pledge.”

Maybe if they change the words to something like, “I pledge allegiance to the ideals of liberty and justice on which this nation was founded, and to those who have tried to live out those ideals and to extend them to others, acting under the guidance of God, but always with respect for others’ beliefs and rights,” well, then I might just say the Pledge.

Until then, I will politely stand, and, as I often do, say a prayer instead.

Maybe I’ll say one for Michael Newdow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home