View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Thursday, September 01, 2005

From the back pew - The Greatest Hits

In today’s paper, there was an article about greatest hits albums.

The article points out that in recent years, “greatest hits” or “best of” albums no longer necessarily mark long careers or contain the top-rated or socially significant songs by performers.

Instead, we have collections be people who have only been recording for a few years, or only have a couple of albums out. Some haven't even really had hits. The list in the article included the likes of Hilary Duff, Mandy Moore, Britney Spears, The Backstreet Boys, Martika, and O.D.B.

I also work in radio, and I know that many of those weekend shows labeled “The Best of…” are really just regular shows recorded during the week so the station would have something to fill the air time.

Basically, it’s all hype and manipulating perceptions.

Anyway, I figured if they could do it, so can I, even if this blog is only five months old.

I looked back over my entries, and picked some that jumped out at me. They aren’t necessarily the best written, or the most profound of my pieces. Heck, as I looked back I even found typos in some of them. They’re just pieces I particularly like or that got some reactions.

So here’s my list of pieces I’d include on “The Best of `From the back pew’”

Boycott Starbucks? Well... (August 20)

Coffee. Mmmm.

NARAL lie? Heaven forbid! (August 11)

The Roberts ad.

Women priests? (Revised slightly) (July 31)

Slow and steady?

Hero? (July 26)

A Lance limerick.

Wedding bells (July 17)

My oldest daughter marries.

Watch out, I get preachy! (July 13)

Everybody does not love Raymond.

Walmart ate my blog! (June 25)

A certain Supreme Court decision.

And the winner is.... (June 6)

Democracy in the Church.

Before Glory and Praise (May 29)

Ah, musical memories.

Is that a fly in my soup? (May 11)

Troubles.

Goodbye Hannah (May 5)

The death of a pet.

A not-so-divine comedy (May 1)

Dante in the rectory.

Conclave haiku (April 18)

Soon to be published!

Miracle attributed to John Paul II (April 9)

There’s a sucker born every minute.

Your full-service Planned Parenthood (April 8)

From conception to death.

The patron saint of March Madness (March 24)

A slam dunk.

Exodus – Sunday Mass style (March 21)

Bye. Bye.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home