View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Casey Anthony, Abortion, and the Culture of Death

I don't know the truth about the Casey Anthony case. I don't know whether she did or did not kill her daughter, Caylee.

I'm not "outraged" at the verdict - for as far as I can tell, the prosecution did not make a convincing case.

I do feel sad for her.

Here we have a woman who has lost a daughter. If she didn't do it, the loss will likely haunt her - as the loss of a child haunts so many parents who lost a child due to miscarriage. And if she did do it, then that will likely gnaw at it, as such a loss does women who have aborted their children.

Indeed, the verdict made me think of abortion.

Some of the arguments made by the prosecution for why Anthony may have done it sound a lot like arguments forwarded for getting an abortion. Caylee interfered with her mother's lifestyle. She was holding Casey back.

And there are some pro-choice extremists who have argue that killing a child even after birth is sometimes acceptable - up to a couple of years old (Caylee was only 2).

Abortion is just one manifestation of the Culture of Death. Abortion has helped to devalue life. It has helped to elevate the cult of self. It has helped to make other forms of killing thinkable.

For example, we have states that are beginning to support euthanasia. And as has been shown in nations where euthanasia has been allowed, the "humane" killing will eventually move from just those who have are in danger of immanent, painful death, to those who have chronic illness, dementia, or are just old. I will not be surprised if it moves on to inconvenient young children.

We may get to the point where what Casey Anthony may have done will be somehow twisted into something that's legal, and just a private parenting decision.

I can imagine Planned Parenthood finding some way to profit from it.

I hope we never get to that point.

I pray that we never get to that point.

But 100 years ago, many methods of birth control were illegal.

50 years ago, abortion on demand was illegal.

25 years ago, euthanasia was illegal.

For now, I think we need to pray for Casey Anthony and all those involved in the case (especially her parents) that they might find some sort of peace and healing.

3 Comments:

Blogger davintosh said...

Well said. Thank you, from the bottom of my formerly-Catholic heart.

12:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the well said heart rending thoughts. As a Protestant I am hoping we can continue to unite with Catholics on these epic justice issues for the glory of God and good of the unborn. I wrote some similar thoughts here: http://chiefofleast.com/2011/07/07/1-2-million-caylee-anthonys-die-in-america-each-year-with-no-mourners-or-media-outrage/

1:53 PM  
Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

My neighbor brought up the same comparison the other way when we were discussing this. As she put it, the abortion was delayed until the child was over 2 years old. I hate the whole "people are dispensible" mentality.

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home