View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Books - A Philadelphia Catholic, Sophia House, and Zombies

Even in a busy life, there's always time for prayer - and reading.

The prayer ... well I'll talk about that elsewhere.

But as for the reading, I've been continuing my goal of reading Catholic fiction to help inspire me spiritually and artistically.

I recently finished A Philadelphia Catholic in King James's Court by Martin de Porres Kennedy.


It billed as the first ever apologetics novel - perhaps a bit of hyperbole, as I suspect there have been such novels before. But it is clearly apologetic in nature. It is also a book that I enjoyed.

It's the story of a young Michael O'Shea who suffers the tragic death of his father. The family decides to go stay for the summer on the Kentucky farm of his mother's brother - a fundamentalism (but good-hearted - he's no villain) Protestant minister who has hopes of saving his nephew and the other members of his sister's family from their papist ways. There ensues much debating and quoting of the Bible to support Catholic teachings - but done in a way that's not dull or dry.

I recommend the book.

For my birthday, my youngest daughter, knowing my fondness for haiku (even bad haiku) and my sense of humor, got me Zombie Haiku by Ryan Mecum.



It's twisted, sick, and full of terrible haiku. I loved it. Come on, who can't get a chuckle out of ditties like:

Little old ladies
speed away in their wheelchairs,
frightened meals on wheels

Blood is really warm.
It's like drinking hot chocolate
but with more screaming.

Okay, maybe only slightly off-kilter folks will get a chuckle.

Clearly not to everyone's taste. But a great gift for me.

Finally, I've begun reading Michael O'Brien's Sophia House - a prequel to Father Elijah: an Apocalypse.


I have always enjoyed O'Brien's work; I even got to interview him once back when I was a reporter. So I'm looking forward to lots of good reading.

1 Comments:

Blogger Persis said...

"Zombie Haiku"- I love it!!

And I think I may be a little more than "slightly off-kilter", as I laughed out loud!! :)

Oh well, I never claimed to be "normal"! :)

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home