View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Thursday, November 26, 2009

The Holidays Mean ... the Blues

Every year at the holidays, I get the blues.

I get the blues periodically anyway - something I have to be aware of, and cautious about - but I can always count on it this time of the year.

I'm not sure why. Unrealistic expectations? Too many memories? Too much going on? Too many people? The heightened emotions?

When the blues hit I get testy and defensive. My stomach knots or gets sour. I get tension headaches. I want to get away. I want to go into my shell.

When we have people over for Thanksgiving or Christmas, I always seem to disappear into the kitchen to do the dishes. It's become such a given that the sink is referred to as my "post." Dad's at his post again.

Dad is hiding.

The term "Holiday Blues" is out there, so obviously what I experience is not uncommon. I'm one of many who feel its effects.

I'm sure learned studies have been done. There are probably also lots of articles in magazines and newspapers, full of speculation, possible causes, doses of pop psychology, and, of course, remedies.

Get counseling.

Focus on the positive.

Take two happy pills and don't see us until after the holidays.

It occurs to me that I should offer it up when I get in these moods. Something so negative? Sure. It's a part of my life. It's a suffering I experience. By offering it up I can turn something negative into a positive.

Lord, I offer you my blues.

Pax et bonum

7 Comments:

Blogger A Bit of the Blarney said...

Wishing you PEACE!!! Have a grand day!!! Cathy

7:57 AM  
Blogger Brother Charles said...

You are not alone, Brother...for whatever consolation that's worth. Peace.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Persis said...

Lee,
Happens to the best of us.
Me personally, as crazy as it sounds, I think it has to do with the season change, and the long dark days, more than the holidays.
I bought a lightbulb for my study that simulates sunshine, it has made a world of difference!Give it a try!
Wishing you peace!
Persis

6:33 PM  
Blogger In the choir loft said...

Persis,
Where did you get the bulb? I should get one if it's not too expensive.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Persis said...

Check out Home Depot or Lowe's. It was more than your average bulb, but not ridiculous, I think it was about $8.00.
Hope it works for you- it was the best investment I ever made! :)

8:06 PM  
Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Lee, I can often get the same way. I'll be adding my prayers for peace for you this season. But don't be so quick to condemn "happy pills" as there are plenty of people with actual chemical imbalances who benefit from them, when used properly.

9:01 PM  
Blogger Gretchen said...

Lee, I could use someone to wash the dishes around here - I'm getting horrific dishpan hands!

In all seriousness, welcome back! I'll be praying that the only blues you get this holiday season are blue skies (to go with some nice sunshine/sonshine)!

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home