View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, July 08, 2006

Reading Merton

To go out to walk slowly in this wood - this is a more important and significant means to understanding, at the moment, than a lot of analysis and a lot of reporting on the things `of the spirit.' -- Thomas Merton, Learning to Love

I have been reading Thomas Merton's Gethsemani: Landscapes of Paradise.

The book includes some photos that Merton took and excerpts about nature from his writings, then photos by Harry Hinkle at the Abbey of Gethsemani (with more excerpts by Merton), and text by Monica Weiss, SSJ (from Rochester's Nazareth College, no less).

Beautiful.

It makes me want to take a walk in the woods and savor the magnificence of God's creation.

And to take pictures.

And to read more Merton.

I have an affection for Merton. Back in the 1970s when I was struggling with my faith, his Seven Storey Mountain was one of the works that helped to right my spiritual ship.

I highly recommend the book for reading - and for praying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home