View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Angels watching over me


I came across this entry over at Laura’s blog (... and if not ...)

"You are embarrassing the angels." This is what I intend to say for the next 40 days whenever I see someone who is hurting the culture, hurting human dignity, denying the stature of a human being. I mean to say it with belief, with an eye to instruction, but also pointedly, uncompromisingly. As a lady would. All invited to join in.
Read Peggy Noonan's Article

She makes some good points and comes up with a catchy phrase. After some reflection on the choice of words I think I will choose to say something along the lines of "You are embarassing yourself." Embarassing the angels is good in theory... but I think I will stick to my own phrase. Pass it on. Thanks to
Happy Catholic for posting this.


Yes, thanks to Happy Catholic and Laura.

Noonan makes some good points. I, too, for example, have found myself uneasy about the television ads for various sexual products.

And this whole business got me to thinking: What do the angels see?

Do we embarrass them or make them proud?

Would we do some of the things we do if we really believed someone was watching?

But even if we don’t think about angels watching us, what about God?

I don’t know if I will go around saying “You are embarrassing the angels.” I have been known to say “You are embarrassing yourself,” but I certainly don’t say it every time I see something that merits the comment.

I’ll think about that.

Meanwhile, this Lent, I’ll now be aware of the angels watching.

Am I embarrassing them?

And myself?

1 Comments:

Blogger Laura H. said...

I usually think the phrase in my head too. I wonder though if I said it more if people would be more aware of their actions. If we are fearless when it comes to calling people out... could we help people be more aware of their socially unacceptable actions?

I too will be more aware of the angels presence this season. Good post!

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home