View from the choir

I am a Catholic layperson and Secular Franciscan with a sense of humor. After years in the back pew watching, I have moved into the choir. It's nice to see faces instead of the backs of heads. But I still maintain God has a sense of humor - and that we are created in God's image.

Saturday, June 18, 2005

Where are the lightbulbs?

I have been quiet of late.

The end of the school year means all sorts of extra work at the small private Christian school where I am lead teacher/principal.

We are we finishing classes. We are preparing for our graduation night skit/musical review (I wrote the skits). We are deciding what courses will be offered next year. (I'm pushing for drama as an elective, so we have more time to work on the theatrical performances the parents so love!)

At the same time, I have been helping to prepare our house for my eldest daughter's bridal shower today. (My final role is, as soon as I get out of work, to go home, get the dogs, and disappear for a few hours.)

Meanwhile, I have been trying to make phone calls on behalf of my mother - who lives in another county, and who is nearly deaf. She is preparing for cancer treatments and must decide what to do with my father, who is in a wheelchair due to a stroke and has had to rely on her for almost everything.

I've also been working on an article for a pro-life activist friend. We hope to publish it to draw attention to Democrats for Life and some pro-life initiatives - but this coming week is the deadline for getting it done.

Then there's the diaconate.

I have been praying, thinking and reading.

I did talk briefly with my pastor and parish deacon. We will meet soon to talk more in depth.

One of the things I have also been doing as I discern is search for deacon-related blogs or chat rooms. I'm looking for other discerners' experiences. I often find "biography' more informative than philosophical/theological documents.

I have encountered few such blogs or chatrooms. Maybe deacons are too busy with service.

Priests certainly seem to have time to blog. Hmm.

Reminds me of a joke.

How many priests does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

One. He assigns the deacon to do it.

How many deacons does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

One. He empowers some lay people to do it.

How many lay people does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

One. The custodian does it while the deacon is busy empowering and the priest is busy assigning.

Okay, so it's not yuck yuck funny.

A priest told it to me.

Maybe he should have asked the deacon to tell me ....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home